Commenting on most of the review complaints: I live within 7 miles from Mt. Airy and if I didn't, I wouldn't go there either if it wasn't so close.
(1) Smoking: complaints are totally justified. The newer machines are on the main floor and many where smoking is allowed. In plain English, it smells really bad most days--some days more than others. By comparison, the Sands has high ceilings and if you avoid that part of the casino where smoking is allowed, the air quality is fine. I have a lung condition so I am very sensitive to smoking. Even the Mohegan Sun is better if you stay out of the smoking area.
(2) Payouts: it depends. I only play certain machines at Mt. Airy, otherwise it is a donation.
(3) Rude patrons: All casinos "import" via bus trips and overall many of those people come from another culture or an area where rudeness is acceptable. They often sit at a machine and play minimum (penny or nickel--unbelievable).
(3) Employees: I regret that I must agree they mostly are unfriendly and do not understand the concept of "customer" satisfaction/service. Management has not made good hiring choices and hasn't implemented an effective training program.
(4) Slot Gaming: I was there this week and one small area I played in had 3 machines with problems and I finally found someone by searching. The man who finally came seemed annoyed with me and definitely was a negative for the casino (he had a suit on as opposed to the "uniform" that attendants wear in Mt. A.) Not a positive management image.
I will end by saying that I have a lot of casino experience (I have been going to East Coast casinos since gambling began at Resorts in Atlantic City.The Golden Nugget and Borgata excel in all these areas and offer valuable comps.) The new Revel Casino is scheduled to open in April which will raise the bar. Harrah's is in this class but personally, I prefer the other two.
As a "local", my taxes are reduced from the Mt. Airy's casino contribution so in one sense, I am pleased they are doing so well but as a patron, it is underwhelming.
Where do I start. Oh yeah. Each time my wife and I drive to this place, some 100+ miles from our home, we leave so incredibly disgusted and disappointed. Not only are the promotions horrible, the slot machines are the absolute worst when it comes to winning anything. The machines are antiquated and old. The bonuses are non existant. The patrons, mostly from New York are rude. They look and act as if they crawled out from under a rock. The employees on the floor are incredibly arrogant when you ask them a questions or ask for assistance. I totally hate this casino.
There is really nothing nice I can say about our trip to Mount Airy, except we will not make that mistake twice! The customer service is the worst I have ever experienced in a casino. the staff seemed to be annoyed with the patrons. The table games were okay but, again there was a feeling that we should just hurry up and leave! Don't waste your time with the players club. Even a player like myself who goes to the casino a lot will not find the reward program incentive are not enough to merit a return trip.
I had been going to Mt. Airy a few times a month, since they opened. However, Management has done everything possible to make me feel that they do not value my patronage. They have cut back on their slot play rewards, earned rewards, the food has gotten worse and the slots couldn't get any tighter. It's no longer a fun place to go. It really stinks!
I live an hour from this casino. I still prefer to go to Atlantic City. There are only 2 reasons to come here. The Friday night seafood buffet which is a great deal. And during the week, they sometimes have $5 blackjack which is extremely rare in the East. The video poker has poor pay tables. The slots are slots. The players club is only worth the effort if you plan on gambling A LOT. And once you're done gambling, there is nothing nearby.